Saginaw Bay Weather
Saginaw Bay
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rifle River Steelhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Michigan Fishing Report: Saginaw Bay Area Forum Index -> Fishing Reports: Hot Bite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walleyedog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Rifle River Steelhead Reply with quote

We went up sucker fishing a week back and was talking with a fellow fisherman. Says his buddy did well on steelhead the morning before. I was curious, any body have any knowledge as to where and how good the steelheading is on the Rifle?
bkp1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rifle has no dams or barriers in the whole system that will block steelhead. they can be anywhere, its open all the way to M-55.
Asocia1975

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup was up at omer this morning to get some suckers. was very suprised that the water was very low. went to one spot and seen a steelhead just sitting there tried to cast and see if he would bite but by the time i tried to cast i spooked him.
Gatorbait

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rifle River Steelhead Reply with quote

Walleyedog wrote:
We went up sucker fishing a week back and was talking with a fellow fisherman. Says his buddy did well on steelhead the morning before. I was curious, any body have any knowledge as to where and how good the steelheading is on the Rifle?

Steelhead fishing the rifle sucks - stick to the Au Sable like the rest of the people Shocked Shocked Laughing Twisted Evil

The rifle has quite a few steelies, but this is one thing that I can not share anymore info on. I'll give away GPS cords for walleye - let you follow me out - take you out for a day of fishing - but, you can't have my steelhead holes Cool Wink One thing I will tell you is tie on a small barrel swivel and leave a couple inches of slack on the tag end. I then tie a knot in the end of the tag to keep the splitshot from slipping off. Then run your leader from the barrel swivel down. I go down about 18" and tie a blood spot egg fly and then tie another line directly to the shank of the hook and go about another 18-24" with the leader and tie on a bead headed black stone fly. Cool Wink Adjust your small split shot(s) so that you just tick the bottom every once in a while. When your line stops - set the hook. You can also use on a float if you like. Works greak for sucker as well just a little more expensive if your not in the right terrain...Jeff
313sparky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya everyone knows the Au Sable is much better, on the Rifle you need to walk and walk between holes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Michigan Fishing Report: Saginaw Bay Area Forum Index -> Fishing Reports: Hot Bite All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: